Thursday, April 4, 2013

Resident Spotlight: Matthew Odom

Recently, Promise Neighborhoods had the opportunity to sit down and chat briefly with a resident many inside of the MPN may not know of. However, the rest of the city, the state and cities like Chicago, Illinois know him very well. Matthew Odom is a successful local photographer that is pushing the limits of professional photography in the Macon and Middle Georgia area. His work has gotten so much attention that a piece of his work is on display at an art exhibition in Atlanta, Ga. What many don't know about Matthew is that he not only grew up in the Unionville neighborhood but he in fact still lives in the neighborhood.

Matthew holds the piece that will get exhibited at the Peachtree Photography Roots Studio Exhibition

MPN: "So tell us about your neighborhood."

Matt: "Well I grew up in Unionville and still stay there. There are good people in the neighborhood but right now, its just stagnant. It's hard to put a finger on it sometimes. And although its better than it was when I was growing up, the mindset of many who live in the neighborhood isn't one that can push the neighborhood forward. Or better yet push THEMSELVES forward."

MPN: "Well speak on growing up a little. What sort of things did you have to overcome to become as successful as you are. (Matthew owns a VERY successful photography business along with an successful internet based smooth jazz radio station)."

Matt: "Well I lost my mother when I was a young boy so my grandparents raised me and after my grandfather died, it was just my grandma and myself. There was a point when the neighborhood got pretty rough with a rise in gang activity and violence but I never took heed to the peer pressure that the gangs brought with them. I was also very involved in sports and I loved video games; still do! *laughs* But with a strong family along with effective mentors and positive friends, I kept everything on the straight and narrow."

MPN: *laughing* "I can definitely understand where you're coming from with video games and sports. Can you talk about some ways you think that residents in Univionville can, sort of, help themselves get out of many of the situations they are in. You know, change the "culture" that is in place in the neighborhood." 

Matt: Well to me its simple. The key is to educate themselves AND to make sure that their children take their education seriously. Knowledge is the new currency and many people who do well are the ones with the knowledge and know-how to get things done. The neighborhood simply has to educate itself.

Wise words.

See some of Matthew's work at Matt Odom Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment